Friday, July 3, 2009

N.C. Museum of Art

My personal opinion: Art adds color and dimension to life, without it the world would be pretty dull.

Most of the times, when I visit art museums I do not participate in docent led tours. However, after yesterday at the art museum, I can now appreciate their importance and the wealth of knowledge and information one can gain from them. Until yesterday, I never knew that in almost all paintings, the colors red, orange, and yellow are key colors that focus one’s attention to a painting. After the docent mentioned this snippet of information, I started to look for those colors in every painting we viewed. I found each and every one of the paintings, regardless of time periods or format, had in them the attention grabbing colors red, orange, and yellow. Wow! Another piece of art information learned.

After the field trip, I now have a better idea of how to integrate art into interdisciplinary instructional approach. I especially liked the display showcasing students’ work. From one of the art projects, I saw an example of integrating mathematics into art. Instead of numbering each drawing, the student employed mathematic operations and their answers to guide the sequence of the pictorials. It was a wonderful example of applying knowledge learned from another subject and incorporated it into art.

Although the walk from Meredith to the museum was not a long distance, it was a hot day. I believe perhaps an earlier time in the day when the temperature is slightly cooler may be a better time to do the walk. Unfortunately, the museum closes at 5 pm Tuesday to Thursday, if not for the time conflict, the regular class time would be an ideal time to saunter from Meredith to the Museum of Art.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that our docent was wonderful in highlighting various components of the art. She was knowledgeable and being a former educator, really knew how to make the trip relevant. I'm glad it was a good trip for you- even the hot walk :)

    ReplyDelete